Thursday, February 25, 2010

Career Paths, etc.

Well, our little theologians were at it again. I'm going to try my best to remember this whole string, but it was a long one and I'm sure I'll leave some good stuff out. Let's see . . . I think it started when we pulled up to the light at the ramp that leads off Danny Thomas to turn onto Union. As usual, there was a man sitting at the top of the ramp with a "homeless" sign. It was at this same intersection that I'd once given away one of the snack packs we made at church one night for just such an occasion.

Walt: Mommy, do we have some food to give him?
Me: No, we don't have any today. We need to remember to get some more on Sunday night at church.
Walt (rolling down window): I'm sorry, we don't have any food today.
Me (rolling up window): Walt, that was nice, but it's really not a good idea to talk to strangers. You might not always know if they're nice or not nice. You should really let mommy talk if we need to tell him something.
(Though, for the record, the man was very nice, smiled at Walt and said, "That's okay, man.")

This led into a discussion of why we shouldn't talk to strangers, and who a kid should talk to if he needed help. Why, the police, of course.

Adam: I'm going to be a policeman when I grow up.
Walt: I'm going to be a basketball player.
A: Or I might be a preacher, like my daddy.
W: You'll have to learn a lot about God to be a preacher.
A: Yeah.
W: Do you want to be a preacher because your family owns the church?
A: We don't own the church! God owns the church!
W: Is that true, Mommy?
M: Well, yes, kind of. Robert is just kind of the leader of the church, but I guess God really "owns" it.

(Aside: Walt is very into who "owns" everything lately. He was very excited to meet his second restaurant owner last night when we went to Lou's Pizza for dinner.)

W: Does God own it because he lives there?
M: Well, God kind of lives everywhere.

(Somebody help me, please!)

A: Is he in that truck up there?
M: Well . . .
W: You can't see God because he's the invisible Holy Spirit.
A: Yeah, like a ghost. Like ghost Anakin Skywalker or ghost Obi-Wan Kenobi!

So, to answer the burning question in your mind . . . can two preschoolers start a conversation about social justice and bring it back around to Star Wars? Yes!!

2 comments:

  1. And at about the same time, in another car, Meredith was suggesting pallets on the living room floor for people w/o houses. Looking forward to getting my hands on some of those snack packs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G, our community group will be making more snack packs next week if you need any.

    ReplyDelete